Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Area Plant Store Report: Allendale Farm and Ricky's in Union Square





Hi everyone,

I spent part of today visiting garden centers and wanted to give a mini report based on my earlier suggestion regarding Allandale Farm in Brookline. I did got there today, and they had some tomatoes but no peppers and not many vegetables. I was told they would be moving them down from the greenhouses later this week. I was impressed with the variety, and I bought some exotic types. Plants were $3.19 each, I think. They didn't have six flats, just individual plants. I got the Brown Berry, a Sungold, Purple Cherokee, Black Prince, and Mortgage Lifter. I'll report on how those do in the season. Plants were sturdy but on the small side since they are just coming out for the season. The tomato greenhouse wasn't open, but they let me pick some out, which was great because I drove a bit of a distance to get out there.

The surprise and delight of the day, however, was Ricky's Flower Market in Union Square. Not only was the selection Fabulouso but the funky layout and green oasis that is Ricky's really enthralled me and the kids. There were green nooks and crannies to explore and plants around every corner. I have posted some pics here of both places. The one inside is at Allendale Farm. The ones outside with the sign "Vegetable Plants" is Ricky's. What a delight those tables are as verdant and lush tomatoes spill from the shelving. Varieties were a bit less exotic here with plenty of what everyone loves but also with some interesting sounding other choices.

The pics of the flat here are from Ricky's. Look at how healthy these are! And they were pretty reasonable at $2 and some change for a pretty nice tomato plant. We got some eggplant, cucumbers, musk melon, and a healthy variety of peppers including Thai peppers.

Take care, Linda

No comments:

Sitemeter