Wednesday, June 4, 2008

On Deadly Nightshade and Other Dark Portents



Since I discovered the deadly nightshade growing in our garden, I've done a lot of research on this fascinating plant, with which I've been intrigued for a time.

In Vermont, this was growing near my garage (loads of it). It came in as a wildflower/weed. Finding it enchantingly beautiful, I allowed it to live until it was near berry stage. A relative identified it for me--and urged me to pull it up. I had a baby (Aidan) at the time. The plant irritated my skin where it touched me.

The consensus seems to be that we should kindly ask our gardener to remove the deadly nightshade and replace it with another companion plant to deter pests, something like marigolds or catnip. He is out of town now, but I will try to reach him when he returns. I have sent him emails as well.

For now, I labeled the plant "This is toxic. Do not handle."

Liz had wonderful ideas for creating a fence around it with skull and crossbones on it. I love that idea but wonder what kind of fence we could build? She also said it would be a good education opportunity to teach people about these kinds of plants. Foxglove, for example, is poisonous, but the plant is used by drug companies for heart conditions (do not try this at home though as Foxglove really is powerful)!

Liz also mentioned this wonderful garden, created by Jane, Duchess of Northumberland: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/apr/05/martinwainwright. It is worth the web visit. She grows cocaine, belladonna (of course!), and scores of other poisonous things. It is like something out of a story book--really fascinating and cool. However, she has a staff to educate people, and the garden (I imagine) is locked at night. Fascinating topic though.

And lest we sell belladonna short, check her out when you are in the garden. As her name (Italian meaning beautiful lady) indicates, she is quite stunning. Black widow style.

No comments:

Sitemeter